Tuesday, February 9, 2010

My Evil, Inner Editor

I am studying The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron as a way to challenge writer's block. One exercise is to draw a picture of what she calls "the inner critic," that self-criticiser that stems from roots of negativity we may have collected and held onto during childhood.

My "monster" is a sharp-chinned woman with a dark unibrow and tiny eyes. She dominates her way into the position of Executive Editor. Daily I have to tell her, "You're fired! Go wax your eyebrow!" because she seems to show up with a leaky red pen whenever I open my notebook.

"In my own case, I have found that my Inner Critic's most scathing comments are often reserved for what will later appear to be my strongest work." (Cameron, 2006, p. 96) Be secure enough to try something new in your writing. Or be secure enough to stick to what you're doing.

References

Cameron, Julia. (2006) Finding water. Penguin Group: USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment